Monday, September 10, 2007

Well, it's not 1999 or 2000

I wanted to write a detailed blog about the atrocity that was the VMA's 2007 - but I'm tired and don't feel like using the brain energy required. But I will say a few things....

First of all - it was announced Britney would be making her big comeback and opening the show. I was actually pulling for the girl - yeah she's gone a little nuts, but I still feel bad for her. And while she isn't the greatest singer - I've always thought of her as a pretty damn good performer. Part of me thought she was going to knock it out of the park...instead she bunted, and then tripped and fell on her way to first. I was disappointed. The whole performance was lackluster, she looked totally un-enthused - and really nervous. That does seem a little understandable considering her present position with the media and all that's going on in her life - but she's been doing this for how many years? If she wasn't ready, she should have waited. I did like the song though, a good dance tune. And though she doesn't have the body circa VMA's 2000, I thought she looked good - she did have two kids, which Sarah Silverman distastefully made fun of afterwards. I think Sarah's funny, I'm usually a fan - but they're innocent kids, they have nothing to do with anything and it was just rude - but I guess that's expected.

Moving on, they changed the entire format of the show - and I don't think it worked. Instead of your normal venue, like Radio City, they held the awards at the Palms in Vegas and had a smaller venue plus different 'parties' going on in several of the suites. They'd cut from suite to suite, then back to the main stage all the while showing parts of performances. There were a lot of performances cut off that I would have liked to watch - but I guess the point of that was to cut the show down to two hours (which they still went over) and put all the performances on MTV Overdrive. All in all, performance wise the only things worth checking out are Britney (just because it's Britney, and you have to see what I mean), Chris Brown and JT, Timbaland and Nelly at the very end. What also struck me as odd was the fact that it's the Video Music Awards, and I think they presented like 5 awards. They need to revisit the VMA's 1999, 2000 and figure out where they went wrong. Yeah the music industry was flooded with a lot of pop, but at least the show and performances were entertaining and they actually gave away awards.



Oh pop music.

They could have done so much with this years show - music is in a really good place right now and there are so many good artists. They blew it!

Go hear to check out Kanye, JT, Timbaland, Rihanna w/ Fall Out Boy, etc.

www.mtv.com/overdrive

No comments: